Saturday, October 17, 2009

Winter

Winter has come to Czech Land.

Bummer.

On Thursday it snowed big, wet flakes. On Friday I woke up to white ground and even more snow that eventually turned to rain which washed away all the pretty fluff on the trees and houses and grass. Today it snowed in the morning again. It is the middle of October. Come on.

The zinnias on Friday.
A field near the house.
From a window.
And some video so you can see how it was coming down.
I know I am going a little crazy with the snow, but it has snowed more here in the last three days than it usually does all winter at home! My po' 'lil Suh'thun heart is not used to this!

Last week I went ice skating with the boys--first time in probably five years? I can't remember the last time I had been skating. And it was never a very common occurrence. But almost everybody ice skates here--hockey is a popular sport.

Lukas thinks it is hilarious that I am not very good at skating. He and I are about the same level, actually. He is four.

The first time we went I was very cautious and pretty scared of falling and breaking something. Like my face. We went again yesterday and I tried to bend my knees and be a bit more fearless. It was better. Still not great, but better. It is funny to be skating around with all these little kids and to push them out of the way so that I can grab the wall.

Just kidding. I didn't push anyone down. I was very aware, though, that I would not be able to dodge if a five-year-old did start coming at me.

Here are my borrowed skates. I always wanted a white pair! Just like in the Olympics. These are a bit dingy, but they used to be white! I think Eva borrowed them from a friend. As far as I can tell, they don't rent skates at the rink. Because everyone has their own.
Honzik is pretty good. All the kids wear helmets. And it is really, really cold in the rink so we are all bundled up.
Lukas got tired after half-an-hour of trudging along in his adorable miniature skates. So Eva pushed him around in a chair. There are several normal wooden chairs in the rink for kids to push or ride on, as well as the metal goal post things you can see. I used one of the metal contraptions for a little while but I felt guilty. They are for tiny children. I do get some funny looks at the rink since I am the only adult who is not a good skater.
Sorry about my creepy laugh at the end. Scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment