Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Welcome!

This is my blog about being a nanny in a small village about 35 minutes outside of Prague.  I have been here less than a week and I am still exploring the village, learning about the three boys I am looking after, and trying to pick up some Czech...The parents speak great English, but the boys (ages 7, 4, and 9 months (obviously)) do not.  Not many people in my village speak English, either, but hopefully I will learn some more Czech so I can communicate.  It is strange to have a four year old chattering away and feel that he is much more articulate than I am!  The seven year old understands that I do not speak Czech, but the four year old will speak to me very earnestly in Czech and I have to remind him that I do not understand.  He asks me about every ten minutes if I speak Czech, as though suddenly I will be able to understand him!  I wish.

I have a great third floor apartment with a big, light room and bathroom.  This is one of the views from my windows.  The blue, green, and yellow bins are the garbage and recycling containers.  They are pretty serious about recycling here.

Everyone is very welcoming and patient with me as I learn their routines and customs.  The food is different but good.  They eat a very big, heavy lunch with soup, meat, pasta, rice, bread...and then a light dinner of a salad or bread and cheese and fruit.  So I am adjusting to that.  

On Friday afternoon we drove about an hour away for the mom's company's retreat.  The company owns a summer camp type place so we stayed there.  There were games for the employees' kids and bouncy castles (The Office anyone?) and lots of barbecues and grills.  It was fun to run around with the children.  You don't need a common language if you are playing tag!  We also played some soccer.  Finally something I could do!  I think the seven year old was excited to see that I can play with him.  I was sure I was going to fall down (it rained on and off so the grass was slick) and pull something or break my ankle and then they would have to take me to the hospital and it would be a huge mess.  I fell one time--got too tricky against a nine year old opponent--but other than wet jeans I was fine!  






This is Honzik (7) and Lukas (4) watching the bouncy slide inflate.  They are pretty cute!




I will try to update this blog regularly...check back for more!

4 comments:

  1. Jaké krásné malé chlapce! Doufám, že se začátkem volá Tetičko Cameron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cameron!! Hey - how exciting that you are off being a super sweet nanny in Czech land. Best of luck learning Czech. It is a lot like English which is why I quickly picked up on what Virginia was saying above.

    Hope we can chat sometime soon and catch up!

    TCP

    P.S. Obviously the first Czech phrase you should learn is "Listen Kid, when will you learn that I don't speak your language. Now scram!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the work for you for the above phrase:

    "Poslouchej Kida, když se naučíš, že Nemluvím vašem jazyce. Teď vypadni!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. you certainly have a gift for languages!

    ReplyDelete