Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sunday--Lány

We went to the nearby town of Lány to see the castle.  It is the President's summer palace and has beautiful grounds that are open to the public.  More info.  It was overcast and rainy but we still had a nice time strolling around the estate.  The castle itself is not open to the public. 
 There is a charming greenhouse by the entrance, all filled with budding roses.

Here is a distance shot from one of the paths around the castle.  

And the close-up:

There were guards in powder blue uniforms, the same outfits as at Prague Castle, strolling the grounds, too.  I guess they have real guns.  They look more like soldiers from The Nutcracker ballet than actual military personnel.

There are magnificent, huge trees and simple landscaping.  Loads of benches.  
I had a Monet moment at a large pond.  


We ended our walk by the stables.  Now they are offices and barracks for the guards, but their original purpose is charmingly remembered with fantastic horse head sculptures above the windows.



I'm very grateful that my Czech family takes me to places like this.  This weekend we went on a hike and to the castle, two outings I probably would not have attempted on my own.  I will wander around Prague but it would be harder for me to drive across the country visiting forests and country estates.  








No comments:

Post a Comment